Oct 10, 2017

I only need you.

I see it all the time. Almost every session in fact.

A two year old has a melt down. A child isn't behaving exactly as they normally do or maybe how Dad or Mom was expecting them to for the sake of family photos. Mom gives me that apologetic glance. The heat of shame creeps up her face and then the awkward pause. I fall over myself to reassure. But that reassurance is genuine. If I could impart any sage advice at all here, it would be ALL kids have their days, their minutes, those moments... Including Mine.

And Yes, we get family photos too. I get it guys. Family sessions can be high pressure. The styling and arranging outfits alone is enough to make a Mama nutty.

But my sweet families. Can I share something with you? Maybe something that might put you just at ease-- I hope.

My family sessions are anything but typical. But why should they be?? My families aren't typical either. I appreciate each one for what and who they are.

There is no real expectation in the way of behavior or even personality. I want all of you-- whatever it may be in that moment. Kids are kids. Things happen. We are building a new relationship on our day. There isn't a miracle cure, only a little bit of time. I'm not just after your "poses." I am after your moments. 

Sometimes we hike, we always chat, the kids explore, and instead of my families being expected to sit and smile on demand... I am looking deeper. I want you to interact with your children. I need genuine moments--even if just fleeting. I can be quick if necessary, but there is nothing more beautiful than a Mama that will let her guard down and trust me. 

Because when that happens-- MAGIC happens.

It's give and take I confess. We both give, we both come away with something genuinely special.

And yes, at some point all parents try not to come unglued as their kids play in mud and schlep sticks and have the occasional melt down. It isn't always easy. It is always worth it. Sometimes kids tumble, or someone isn't in the mood *cough Dad*, but I don't need perfection.

I only need you.

I need you to come and be just who you are. Your imperfection is beautiful. I am inspired by it.

And each time you come back-- the kids know me a little better, you know what to expect. It gets that much easier for all of us. I promise.

Let me come and bear witness for you. 

We are all only human. Your humanity is beautiful.

Please Call me to set up a time to chat... 913.731.0148

No comments: